SUSTAINABILITY MATTERS AT PBVC
Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic believes in sustainability and doing our part to preserve our planet.
We feel so lucky to live, work, and play in this amazing, diverse, and beautiful place we call the Central Coast. Even after 16 years living here, I still get a little tingle of excitement and gratitude when I pass Ontario Ridge heading south from SLO on 101 and get my first glimpse of the ocean. It is easy, sometimes, to forget that despite our idyllic weather and picturesque surroundings, our planet is in trouble.
Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic exists, at its core, to help our clients and our patients live happier, healthier, and more fulfilling lives. As such, we feel a responsibility to take whatever actions we can to help decrease our carbon footprint and to set an example in our community for environmental stewardship. Though Sarah and I have always emphasized sustainability in all aspects of our private life, we (for some reason) never really considered the importance of bringing these concepts into our business. We now recognize that taking these steps as a business is even more important than doing so individually because we are potentially able to have a much larger sphere of influence and have a trickle-down effect on our staff, clients, and community.
Here are a few of the many things we are doing to reduce our environmental impact:
- We have fully revamped our recycling program to maximize our waste reduction, including recycling of e-waste, alternative plastics, and composting green waste.
- We have replaced all of our toilets with ultra-low water toilets.
- We have installed a huge solar array and Tesla power walls, allowing us to be nearly 100% self-powered off of the sun.
- We have installed a Tesla car charger to encourage green commuting.
- We have replaced all of our fluorescent and incandescent lights with LED bulbs.
- We have replaced all of our paper products with recycled paper and have installed reusable fabric hand dryers and electric air hand dryers.
- We will be installing an instant water heater to replace our conventional gas heater.
- We have worked with our suppliers to reduce packaging, plastics, and shipments for our medical supplies.
- We have incentivized the staff to commute more responsibly via bike, carpool, and electric vehicles.
- We have installed energy efficient computer monitors, refrigerators, laundry, and other appliances.
- We have switched to non-toxic and low waste cleaners and laundry products.
- We regularly conduct staff training and updates on green friendly practices.
- We purchase carbon offset credits for any continued education air travel.
- We only buy food from restaurants that use eco-friendly packaging and DON’T send a million individually wrapped plastic utensils.
- We have stocked our breakroom with reusable plates and utensils.
- We have a paperless electronic medical records system and have digitized all of our faxes.
- We have invited many local businesses to join our sustainability efforts and facilitated several outreach events with Eco-SLO.
- We have established a “Green Team” to help coordinate our business’s eco activities and incentives and to continuously look for more ways to “go green.”
Finally, as of 2022, we are super excited to announce that we are one of only a handful of businesses in the county to have become SLO GREEN BUSINESS CERTIFIED!
At Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic, we believe that actions speak louder than words. We recognize that living on the Central Coast and serving our wonderful clients and patients is a true gift. We will continue to do all that we can to promote the highest standard of sustainability in everything we do.