Memorial day is a time of celebration, good food, great company and an overall fun filled weekend! Here are some tips to keep the weekend fun for everyone, including your furry friends.
- No table scraps! Grapes, avocados, onions, alcohol and chocolates are all common foods to find at a BBQ but are extremely toxic to dogs.
- Bones are not a good treat. Delicious bones from the grill are very dangerous to dogs. They can splinter, causing tears in the stomach or intestines of your pup. This is life threatening, painful, and includes a long recovery process.
- Always keep an eye on your pet when you are near water, whether that be in a pool or out at a lake. Some pets can swim better than others, and even the best swimmers can get tired out.
- Pets don’t always understand danger. Watch your pet when you are near bonfires or fireworks. It’s best to keep your pet indoors where they are safe from these threats.
- Never leave your pup in the car! Temperatures can skyrocket in a car, even with the windows cracked! When in doubt, leave your pet in your temperature controlled home.
- When outside, be sure to provide your pet with access to shade and fresh drinking water at all times.
Keep these tips in mind while you’re celebrating this weekend. If you have an emergency, please call PETS Hospital at (805) 250-5600