Dr. Joel Conn is featured on 95.3 FM The Beach with Pet Tips. Today the topic was Pet Allergies.
Listen in every Friday morning at 7:25am for more Pet Tips.
Click Here to Listen: Pet Tips: Allergies (MP3)
This week on Pet Tips we’re going to talk about Allergies
Allergies are extremely common in pets and are the number one reason that dogs are brought in to the vet. The main types of allergies we deal with in dogs and cats are flea allergies, food allergies, and environmental or seasonal inhalant allergies.
Signs that your pet might have allergies include:
- Frequent scratching, licking, or chewing of the paws, groin, or tail area
- Hives or rashes
- Skin or ear infections, especially chronic or recurrent infections
The good news is that there are some simple Things You Can Do At Home to help your pet deal with allergies.
- Year-round flea control!! This cannot be overstated. Even if your pet does not have evidence of fleas, we know that any animal that goes outside in this area is at least getting flea bites. And keep in mind, only 5% of that flea population lives on your pet – the other 95% is in your carpet, pet beds, blankets, and your yard so Prevention is key.
- Antihistamines like Claritin or Zyrtec on a daily basis may help with inhalent allergies
- Omega 3 fatty acid supplements like fish oil can improve coat luster and help with itchy skin
- A trial with a Hypoallergenic diet may be the next step if flea allergies have been ruled out.
The thing to remember is that with allergies, we are not looking for a cure. Our goal is to keep the allergy under control and to keep your pet comfortable. The key to success is to work with your vet to come up with a long term maintenance plan.
This is Dr. Joel Conn from Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic. I’ll be back next week with more pet tips. For more information, visit us online at pismobeachvet.com or come see us at 990 Price Street, Pismo Beach. We are open 7 days a week!